I did it. I finally did it! I steamed blocked my husband’s sweater! It took me long enough, but I finally got up the guts.
And it wasn’t even that bad!
I guess I was afraid of accidentally messing up the sweater I had worked so hard on. After all, I rarely iron anything, and never anything that’s as heat sensitive as acrylic. I was 90% sure that I would end up melting the sweater.
Anyway, here’s what I did to avoid the Big Melt:
I flattened out the sweater on my ironing board and set the iron to the lowest steam setting. I covered the sweater with a cotton tea towel, and delicately hit it with the iron- almost skimming across the top of the towel, not pressing down. Once each area was thoroughly steamed, I put down the iron and peeled back the towel. Then, I kind of tugged on the still-hot sweater to make it grow a little bit while it cooled.
I don’t know if you’ll be able to see the difference in these pictures, but here’s the before (a little wrinkly):
And the after (lovely and smooth):I even steamed the textured yoke a little bit.It looks good! And I think it’ll fit my husband better- which was the goal of this whole thing, in the first place!