My husband’s sweater is coming along (slowly, but I’m still making progress). It’s looking pretty good, if I say so myself.
I split off the arms a while ago and have been working on the body.
I actually modified the body a bit from the pattern, which should make the sweater a little more fitted. When I was measuring my husband’s favorite cardigan to pick the size for this one, I noticed that the torso was slightly tapered. The chest measurement was 40″, while the waist was 36″ around.
I figured, why not add a little waist shaping into this sweater? That’s why we knit, right? To make beautiful, customized garments.
So, it was time to do some math (Yay!).
I knew I wanted to decrease 4″ (which comes to about 20 stitches, based on my gauge). And, I wanted to arrange the decreases in pairs underneath the armpits, along the “side seams” (this sweater is knit in the round, so there aren’t seams, but you can imagine where they would be). This means, that each time I work a decrease row, I’m decreasing 4 stitches (2 under each arm).
So: 20 decreases total / 4 decreases per row = 5 decrease rows.
I wanted the decrease rows to be spread evenly down the torso. Based on the Emilien pattern, there are 88 rows between the armpits and the top of the hem ribbing.
So: 88 rows total / 5 decrease rows = 17.6
Because you can’t knit .6 of a row, round to 18. So, I work a decrease row (decreasing 4 stitches under the arms) every 18th row (ish).
A couple inches doesn’t seem like it’d make a lot of difference, but you’d be surprised. Adding just a few k2togs will change this sweater from a standard, boxy cardigan to a cool, slightly fitted one. I hope my husband will like it!