It’s spout time!
My original idea was to make a gusset for the spout, in the same way that I would make a thumb on a mitten. But then I cast on, started knitting, and promptly forgot about that.
So, I had a big rectangle of knitting that wrapped nicely around my teapot. I knit it until it reached the split between the spout and the ‘body’ of the pot, in between two stripes (so I wouldn’t have to worry about making a hole and maintaining the colorwork pattern at the same time). First I thought I would make a simple 8-stitch button hole, but that didn’t seem right. I thought it would make the tea cozy pull funnily, and I want a little cuff around the spout of my tea cozy. So, I decided to do a slight variation.
I knit to where I wanted the hole to be, then transferred 12 sts to a stitch holder, then I cast on 4 sts using a backwards-loop cast on, and knit the rest of the row.
The way I made the hole reduced my total stitch count by 8, so now I was working with 112 sts instead of 120, but that felt right to me. After all, I was going to decrease for the top of the cozy in a few inches. I continued knitting, following the established pattern without any more shaping until I got to the top of the 10 colorwork repeats I had planned.And, when i put the unfinished cozy on my tea pot, it fit surprisingly well! I still have to seam it on the bottom and the top needs to be knit. The spout hole fit really well, sure the safety pin is pulling a bit, but the when I knit up those stitches into a little cuff around the spout, I’m sure it’ll fit like a glove!
That’s really cute!