Looking for a super-quick hat to knit up? Who isn’t at the end of April?
This hat is made with super-chunky yarn to knit up super-fast. The finished product is super-warm for the coldest parts of winter. It’s knitted flat, which makes it great for super-beginner knitters who are afraid of knitting in the round. The ribbing is worked super-long to give a nice flipped-up brim. Super!
(I think I need a thesaurus.)
If you’re looking for a child-sized hat, use worsted-weight yarn and medium-sized needles. If you want a doll-sized hat, use sock yarn and matching needles.
1 Skein Lion Brand Bulky Yarn or other super bulky yarn
Size 13 needles, or size needed to get gauge
A small amount of Mini Mochi, or other sock yarn
Size 2 needles, or size needed to get gauge
Scissors, tapestry needle
Person-sized hat: 2.5 sts/in
Doll-sized hat: 8.5 sts/in
Cast on 10 stitches, work back and forth as follows:
- Row 1 (and all other odd-numbered rows): Purl
- Row 2: K1, (K1, inc 1) 8 times, K 1 (18 sts)
- Row 4: K1 (K2, inc 1) 8 times, K 1 (26 sts)
- Row 6: K1 (K3, inc 1) 8 times, K 1 (34 sts)
- Row 8: K across
- Row 10: K1 (K4, inc 1) 8 times, K 1 Row (42 sts)
- 12: K across
- Row 14: K1 (K5, inc 1) 8 times, K 1 (50 sts)
Work in stockinet stitch for 15 more rows (ending with a wrong side row).
Begin ribbed brim as follow for 20 rows as follows:
- Row 1 (and all odd-numbered rows): P2 (K2, P2) across
- Row 2 (and all even-numbered rows): K2 (P2, K2) across
- Bind off and cut yarn with a nice long tail.
Using the tail from the cast-on edge, sew up the crown of the hat, making sure the seam is on the inside (the purl side). Don’t forget to close up the hole at the top of the hat, too! Hide the end of your yarn in the inside of the hat, and cut off any extra yarn.
Using the tail from the bound-off (brim) end of the hat, sew up the brim, making sure the seam is on the outside of the hat. This seems weird and backward, but since this hat is designed with a fold-up brim, the outside of the hat is actually hidden when the hat is worn. Sew in the tail and cut the yarn, making sure the remaining tail is on the inside of the hat.