All right, it’s time to close up the top! After all, this is a tea cozy, not just a pretty rectangle with a couple weird holes.
I switched to dpns (because I didn’t have a short enough circular needle in the right size), and started working in the round.I did a few rows even, then decreased all the way around, once every 8th stitch. I kept going, knitting one row even, then decreasing in pattern, making the decreases line up.
Once I got right to the top, I cut my yarn and passed the tail through the active stitches, the same way I would work the top of a hat.
Voila! closed up nicely! If I wanted a smoother top (and less-obvious pleats around each set of decreases), I probably could re-knit it and decrease at a more relaxed rate, but I think I kind of like how the top turned out.
The spout is still pulling in what would be an uncomfortable way if this were a garment for a human, but I think that’ll be sorted out once I work the spout cuff, so I’m not worried.
I mean, not enough to fix anything, but if I were to re-knit this pattern, I might change that. Otherwise I’m pretty happy.
Speaking of pretty, let’s talk about my notes. Because those are not even close to pretty anymore. Observe:
I don’t think there’s a line I haven’t scratched out or adjusted. I think just about every number had to be re-calculated and each measurement ended up slightly adjusted.
But that’s how designing a new pattern goes- you’ve got to be flexible and ready to find and fix any mistakes, because there will be mistakes.
What do you think of this design so far- I’m getting close to being done!